30 January 2009

I've been thinking a lot about God's sovereignty and holiness. Mostly I've been considering the way that I am and feel in His presence. And then I wondered: at what point did I put God in my pocket and call him my homeboy? I treat my relationship with God as something that is so very casual. I throw shout-outs to Him throughout the day, for instance "Hey God, it's me again. I need ________" or "Can you ______", and that blank can be filled in with any number of things; things that I should ask for his provision or guidance on. And I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a regular prayer life, because he wants to bless us and give us every spiritual blessing, but when I communicate with him and wait on him, my attitude is all wrong. It's like becoming too familiar with someone and forgetting who they are. There's no sense of reverence for him in me. I feel like there are several popular praise and worship songs that mirror my same attitude.

I wonder if part of it comes from our society. We don't recognize anyone as being sovereign over us. I tend to think the president is an average guy that we could sit down and have a beer with. There's no fear or awe associated with anyone I know in this country.

Jesus gave us an example of how to pray:
"Our Father, who art in heaven,
Hallowed be thy Name.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy will be done,
On earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread.
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
But deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen. "

I tend to skip the first 5 lines and jump to the part where I ask for his provision. I neglect to remind myself of who it is I am talking to. I want to know God and stand in awe of him. I also want to be a good steward of my time and stop making plans apart from his will. That I were able to do the things I know to be right!
--------------------------------------------------------------

On a completely different note, I bought a fish today. Just a little crown-tail beta. His name is Jean-Luc Poisson II. Or, je vous presente le deuxieme Jean-Luc Poisson, le roi d'eau. Il est jaune et magnifique. Mais il est mort presque aujourd'hui quand June Bug a essayƩ de le manger. Mauvais chat! (He is yellow and magnificent. But he almost died today when June Bug tried to eat him. Bad cat!)

Also, Michaela, I would just like to say that I have had your blog open for a while listening to your playlist. I love it! And you my sweet friend! When are you coming to visit?

No comments:

RSS Subscribe